Mushrooms are amazing -- you can do all kinds of things with them. But did you know you could make "meatballs?" They are really, really, really SUPER easy, tasty, and are great with penne pasta and sauce.
Check this out:
- 1 pound white or 15 closed cap crimini mushrooms, wiped clean
- about 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs or 6 slices stale bread, ground up
- 1/2 of a bell pepper, seeded
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1/8 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp. cumin, whole
- 3 allspice berries
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Wash your hands, and preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Next, line a pan with foil or parchment paper. Lightly spritz it with olive oil.
- Adding your ingredients a little at a time, pulse mushrooms, bread, cheese and spices in a food processor.
- When all ingredients are chopped into almost a purée, simply use your hands to create twenty medium sized portions. Form them carefully into balls. They'll be crumbly and chunky, so just sort of pat them and leave them alone.
- Once they're on the pan, you can spritz them with olive oil again if you fear they're too dry.
- Bake for thirty minutes and enjoy.